"I'm strong to the finish, 'cause I eats me Spinach, I'm Popeye the sailor man! (toot, toot)"
~ Popeye (from theme song)
For this week's first fall CSA box, you will find:
(and some hopefuls)
Here is a great recipe for your fall start:
Fall Harvest Spinach Salad
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach, chopped
- 1½ cups cooked quinoa (cooked according to package directions)
- ¾ cup butternut squash, chopped
- 1 medium apple, peeled and chopped
- ⅓ cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 3 Tablespoons dried cranberries
- 2 Tablespoons tahini
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar (or water)
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons Bragg’s liquid aminos (tamari or soy sauce would work too)
- 4 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (1 – 2 cloves of garlic)
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- Prepare the squash by peeling it, cutting it in half and scraping out the seeds.
- Cut the squash into ½ inch cubes, place on a lightly oiled baking sheet and roast at 400° for 30-40 minutes, turning once or twice, until all the pieces are tender and have a few small brown spots.
- While roasting the squash, toss together spinach, cooked quinoa, apple, pepitas and cranberries in a large salad bowl.
- Prepare dressing by placing all remaining ingredients (tahini through maple syrup) in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Once the butternut squash is done roasting, allow it to cool and then place into the salad bowl with the other ingredients. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
Thank you all for farming with us!