Wednesday, July 21, 2010
Apologies for missing last week's newsletter. Summer is in full swing! The annual garlic fest went very well. Thanks to all who turned out, much appreciated!
This week you'll find the following in your box:
Keeping it short and sweet this week, folks. Much to do! More soon. . .
Wednesday, July 7, 2010
In your box this week you'll find:
- Basil. Can be stored for winter months. Easy to do, and easy to use. Just pick leaves and chop. Then toss it into the food processor with a small amount of salt and some olive oil (just enough to keep it moving). Then place the mixture into ice cube trays and bag. Can be stored for months. This works equally well for other herbs too!
- Mint. Delicious in some homemade Lemonade or Iced Tea
- Parsley. A great garnish that can enhance the flavor of any soup, salad, stocks and sauces.
- Chard. A tender green that can become even more delicious when briefly sauteed with garlic and olive oil. Takes just minutes!
- Kale. Great in stirfrys and soups.
- Garlic (first of the year). Store new garlic in a dry, dark place with ample air. Do not cover or keep in a bag.
- Turnip. Try turnip au gratin w/chard.
- Shallot. Can whip up a tasty shallot vinaigrette in just minutes!
Shallot Vinaigrette Recipe
* 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
* 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh shallots
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* 2 teaspoons of Dijon style mustard
* 6 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
In a blender, add the first 5 ingredients. While blender is running add the olive oil and continue blending. Lastly, add the lemon juice and presto! A delicious addition to your favorite salad.
Please contact us if you can't identify something in your box, don't know what to do with a particular item, have a food allergy we should know about, or if you have any other questions or comments. We love hearing from you!