Still Going Strong

7:17 PM Unknown 4 Comments

"Life is either a daring adventure, or it is nothing."

~ Helen Keller





(Sunset on the farm)

This is my first year at the farm and I am many things all at once but you could call it humbled to be succinct.  It amazes me to witness and participate in how growing food for locals is this amazing dance of being super present to current conditions and drawing upon past experience while forward thinking at all times.  If I were not working with people, especially Derek Roller and Will Lorentzen, who know how to do this, working with all the foreseeable and unexpected together, I would have nothing to share here because I only type that we have LOTS of vegetables to offer our CSA members this week because they are so committed to and good at what they do.  I am learning so much.

As the weather turns toward bitter and biting, we still have some great local food to give our community and it is always something I am honored to be a part of but it is during this time especially that I become reflective as we still press on.  We could stop now but it is in the extra mile that one can really appreciate endurance.

This week we are finally seeing a a little less greens going into the boxes and for mid-November, that is pretty darn good!  We still have greens, lovely spinach and also lots of winter squash, garlic, onions... considering all we faced this year with flooding conditions along with nowhere even close to tomato favoring weather.  We even have heirlooms to offer still!

Here you go:

Kale
Red Onions
Yellow Onions
Garlic
Potatoes
Leeks
Diakon Radish
Pie Pumpkin
Butternut Squash
Bunched Spinach
Cherokee Purple Tomatoes
Turnips
Watermelon Radishes
Black Radishes
Carrots

*Due to the freezing cold temps, CSA pick up at the Kirkwood School for Children has a slight change to it.  You will still pick up there but instead of your goods being on the deck, you can go one step further from the deck and into the mudroom door where your boxes will be.*

Most of our members know and appreciate that they can leave their used boxes at the drop off site for reuse but we would like to remind you all that now we are back to boxes full time, please return them.  We make good use of them and you sleep better at night knowing that.  

Also of note:  You may have two boxes this week since you are getting two winter squashes which take up a lot of space.  So please look closely to see if you have a second box with your name on it.  It will be with your primary box.  Just make sure you are looking for it.

If anyone has troubles or questions let us know!

Otherwise, here is a yummy way to cook some of your goodies:

You can do this with butternut squash or pie pumpkin.  The link provided offers this as a pie, which I have adapted and made but used the extra in little ramekins and fell in love with.  So I offer this adaptation for ramekins but you can easily make a pie with this filling.

  • 1 large butternut squash or pie pumpkin , cooked and pureed, about 1 1/2 cups pureed squash
  • 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
  • 3 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup evaporated milk or half-and-half
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon melted butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
I substitute the butter with coconut oil and use whatever milk I have on hand.  I also use a thickening rice flour instead of all purpose.  AND....

Really importantly, I do not puree anything unless I am making baby food.  I enjoy this with a hand beaten texture.  Do what you prefer.

To cook squash:

Cut the squash in half lengthwise; remove stem and scoop out the seeds. Place the squash, cut side down, on a foil-lined oiled baking pan; add about 1/2 cup of water to the pan. Cover loosely with foil and bake at 400° for 45 to 55 minutes, or until the squash is tender and can be easily pierced with a fork. Let cool completely then peel and mash or puree the squash or put it through a food mill.

Measure 1 1/2 cups of the squash and set aside.

Reduce oven to 350° F and position an oven rack in the center of the oven. In a mixing bowl with electric mixer, beat the squash with the brown sugar. Add eggs, evaporated milk, spices salt, flour, butter, and vanilla. Beat until well blended. Pour the filling into the chilled pie and place on the center oven rack. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until set. Check after about 35 minutes and loosely set a ring of foil or a pie crust protector over the browned crust so it won't get too dark. When the filling is set, transfer the pie to a rack to cool. Serve just warm or at room temperature with a dollop of whipped topping or whipped cream.

Via: Southernfood.comhttp://southernfood.about.com/od/pierecipes/r/r71128d.htm

Wishing you all wellness for you and yours this season of giving thanks.  We are grateful to be your farmer.

Your Echo Team


"It is simple... go the extra mile and you stand out from the crowd."
 ~ Robin Crow

You Might Also Like

4 comments:

Hello everyone , here’s your opportunity for you to achieve your dreams of being a multi million dollar rich through trading , I once loss all I got through trading but was fortunate to come across a woman with great virtue and selfless heart (Mary ) i was introduce to her masterclass strategy while searching online which has revived me of all my losses and made me gain more and more . With her unique strategy you are entitled to daily signals and instant withdraw ,be rest assured of getting a refund of all your loss investment with any platform that has denied you in one way or the other in getting your money . Mrs Mary masterclass strategy is simply the best for beginners and those that are finding it difficult to succeed through trading she’ll help you with just a simple step . Email her ( maryshea03 @ Gmail .com) WhatsApp +1 562 384 7738 . Remember this is absolutely free!!!

Elizabeth said...

I was so anxiuos to know what my husband was always doing late outside the house so i started contacting investigators and was scamed severly until i almost gave up then i contacted this one private investigator and he delivered a good job showing evidences i needed from the apps on his phone like whatsapp,facebook,instagram and others and i went ahead to file my divorce papers with the evidences i got,He also went ahead to get me back some of my lost money i sent to those other fake investigators,every dollar i spent on these jobs was worth it.Contact him so he also help you.
mail: premiumhackservices@gmail.com
text or call +1 7078685071

BEST URGENT EFFECTIVE LOVE SPELL TO GET YOUR EX/HUSBAND/WIFE BACK FAST AND TO SAVE YOUR MARRIAGE NOW CONTACT LORD ZULU ON WHATSAPP DIRECTLY +1 (424) 361 7554

+1 (424) 361 7554 Hi everyone I’m here to testify of a great and powerful spell caster called Lord Zulu I was so confused and devastated when my husband left me without word, I needed him back desperately because I loved him so much. So a friend of mine introduced me to this powerful spell caster who had helped her in getting her lover back, so I contacted him and he promised that in less than 72 hours he will come back to me. After I did all he asked, to my greatest surprise my husband who had refused to speak with me came to my house and asked for forgiveness for all he had made me go through and now we are living happily together, if you have any relationship problem I will advise you contact him for your testimonies. Below are his contact details. Contact him on.

EMAIL:Allsupremepowersolutionhome@gmail.com

WhatsApp OR Call:+1 (424) 361 7554

Link:mywa.link/lordzulu

Robbin said...

My name is Davies, I was in love with my wife and we were married for eight years with a son his is Liam,I loved my wife so much she had access to all my bank account and even my cash app which my accountant agreed to and said it was a great idea, then it took my wife and my accountant two month to get hold of all my properties,all accounts but I had a cash app which they knew nothing about,I was thrown out of my own house was sleeping in a hotel for weeks she also took possession of my son could only see him once a week then I found out she was in love with my accountant all these while so I went online and I came across a private investigator who help me get all my properties and my accounts back even my company back how he did these I don’t know but I gave all the information he asked for and followed all his instructions and now I’m happy my life’s better now.
Thanks to premiumhackservices@gmail.com
Text (407) 777-4240
I just said I should share my own story here
Thank you